Monday 28 June 2010

* little B & P *

This evening after her nap, little B came out of the room having downed her full bottle of milk with some milo; happy and smiling. We walked to the front hall a bit then to the mid kitchen where I gave her a teaspoon of fish oil.  She then walked off to the front while I washed the spoon etc.

I called her to come back for something but she did not come. I called again still no reaction. So I went to look for her and there she was standing at my front grill gate, her back towards me as she looked outside at my boisterous dog. He was tied to the main gate in the not so warm sun to dry after his bath and had since been quite noisy at wanting to be set free.

As I approached her, I heard sobbing sounds and was astonished to see little B crying quietly, standing there holding the grill looking at my dog! He barked several times when little B stood there and I thought she was scared by his loud barks.

" B! What happened? Why are you crying? " I asked gently at the same time staring at my dog to keep quiet.

" Are you scared of his barking? Come away from here.... " I said.

" P...(my dog)...he .....he......" in between sobs she went.

" Why girl? Is his barking too loud? " as I saw her flinch a few times.

" P...." she started again, pointing at him.

" It's ok B, nanny put him there to dry cos i pom pom (shower/bathe) him. He's ok..." I tried to reassure her.

" Ayang(sayang) ....... P " she sobbed.

The sight of her standing there quietly and looking so sad, tears streaming down her cheeks as she tried to tell me her thoughts.... nearly broke me!

" Oh.....(it dawned on me then...) you want to sayang (hug/love) P is it?  You're feeling sorry for him there is it?? " I asked her.

" Ya.... I want to ayang P....." she said clearly.

" Ok ok. Go put on your shoes and we'll go let him go ok? " I smiled at her.

Immediately her face brightened up and she went     "yay..." as she looked for her shoes. By this time I was out the door towards P who was all excited and jumping...

Little B soon came out and stood watching while I transfered him to his usual place, a smile on her face. As soon as she saw him settling in his usual spot she approached us, hand stretched out to touch him, a few minutes ago she was so sad now transformed into a giggling little kid excited to see her friend at ease.

" Ayang! Ayang! " she cried out gleefully as she daintily patted his head. P by this time had watched her approach and lowered his head.

It was so touching and funny all at once but I can sense a bond between these two developing. B is not afraid of dogs as E is, probably because I always carried her close to P and G ( my older dog, died this january ) and let her feel them from early on. Ironically P who is super hyper and can be dangerous just from jumping in excitement, has learnt that little B and the others are not to be messed about with. ;P

On many occassions I have seen him lower his head at little B as if to reassure her she may pat his head and he will not bite her. She too through my words has learnt to be cautious every time she goes up to him and knows when it is ok to pat him and when it is not especially when he is excited over something outside the gates.

She would say "ayang..." as she nears him, her hand outstretched but ready to pull away in case. Sometimes he would gently swing his body nearer to her so she is on his side playfully patting his back and face.

These few days she has been giving him his fish oil capsules. Three a day and she holds it in between her index and thumb as he gingerly tries to prise them from her. I have to tell her to let go at times but he is very good with her by not biting or tugging her whole hand! Of course all this is done under my nose as I would never allow her alone with him. She too has a good head on her shoulders where she would not go near him if we are not by her side.

I am still awed at what happened today. To see her standing there crying quietly for her friend.... if only I had taken a picture....it would have brought you to tears or at least drawn out "awww...."s.
She's a softie that little B. Feisty and naughty at times, grumpy and arrogant at others yet she can be caring and sharing when she wants to be.

I believe she will turn out well in her life like the rest of my other kids. A little more nurturing and guidance from all of us, they will be fine.

But to see a bond between a child and a pet.... that never fails to touch even the coldest heart. Won't you agree? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment